Wednesday, June 30, 2010

Alaska - Day One

Got here after two flights which were supposed to take nine hours, but both were delayed so it took eleven. Delta has a bad habit of sharing TMI when a flight is delayed - first flight they were telling us "mechanical issues" and second flight was "sick first officer" which I immediately translated as "engine falling off" and "punk drilot," making for a lot of sweet, sweet anxiety without which I could not get through the day.

First thing I saw when I got off the plane in Anchorage? A Starbucks, a McDonalds, and a Chili's. Ah...it's good to be home on Long Island. I mean, in Alaska.

First thing I saw from my dorm room? (Yes, I am 30something and staying in a dorm. Stop snickering. If you saw the prices on the hotels up here and saw the size of the bears in the campgrounds, you'd be choosing to dorm too). First thing I saw from my dorm was these guys:




Clearly I am no longer on Long Island, as these are MOOSE. Ugliest. Animals. Alive. And not just one moose, you see, but a mother moose with her baby moose. Meese. Meeses. Mooses. And mama moose are not too happy when humans are around the moose calves. Signs up all over the campus saying "Beware of Moose" and telling you what to do in case of a moose charging you. In case you were wondering: (1) Run. Moose will generally only chase you for a short time. (2) Go behind a tree or rock to give yourself more time to outrun moose. Moose, like Hummers or large SUVs, have a fairly large turn radius. (3) Get under a car. Moose, like large humans, cannot fit under cars.







No comments:

Post a Comment