Friday, July 2, 2010

Alaska Day Five, Wherein Carter Acts Like a Typical New Yorker...

...and trots off to spend the Fourth of July weekend at a swanky hotel in the mountains. I admit that I'm more than a little ashamed that I am typing this blog post from a schmancy ski lodge 30 miles outside of Anchorage in beautiful downtown Girdwood, but all I can do is prostrate myself at all of your feet and beg your pity on me, dear readers, for I have been without any form of television for one full week, without decent television for two, and I am going through some serious Weather Channel withdrawal. Have the DTs and all.

Those of you who have known me for many years, and especially those of you who have dormed with me (Jennifer Miller, I'm looking at you!), know that asking me to live without the Weather Channel for more than three days is cruel and unusal punishment, because I can be endlessly entertained by the pop-up tornado warning boxes in places like Tipton, Iowa and Aline, Oklahoma. It has been two weeks since I have seen my beloved WC as...

There is no tv in my dorm.

When I was up in Maine with the play, there was a tv...but it got about 5 broadcast channels, CNN, and a bunch of Encore movie channels...sans Weather Channel.

There is a TV in the small workout room near my dorm, but that room is only upon from 8am to 11am. Apparently college-aged Alaskans exercise in the morning only. Which makes sense to me, given that they're REALLY exercising between noon and 3pm, and their clocks are just ALL WRONG here. And I've also found they don't like watching the Weather Channel while they exercise.

That's my story and I'm sticking to it. It's not that there's a spa at this hotel, or that I'll be able to watch the Wimbledon finals, or that there's a guided hike down the mountain or there was a great, great deal on the rooms (Seriously. Like Red Roof Inn-great deal) as Alaskans do not make like New Yorkers and head for their much-more-impressive version of the Catskills on July 4th. It's all about needing a Weather Channel fix.

Oh, and Wimbledon finals in bed.

God, I'm such a New Yorker. Pathetic.

No comments:

Post a Comment