Friday, July 2, 2010

Alaska Day Four

I've got to tell you, I'm getting a little scenery'ed out. Went on a boat tour today, a "26 Glaciers Tour" and yes, we sat on the boat for 5 hours and saw 26 glaciers. Y'all know that I'm an active kind of girl, and sitting on a boat for 5 hours...well, that was rough. I filled out my suggestion card at the end of the trip with the following: "Have you ever considered a 2 hour, 12 Glacier tour?"

In any event, some scenery:



Yes, that's a whale. He's diving. He didn't do the whole Prudential or Mutual Life or whatever it is "whale-jumps-out-of-the-water-and-splashes" thing for us. I think he needs to be sent to Sea World and trained up for us touristy folks.



Sea Otter. He was a show-offy little guy and posed for us.



This is "Surprise Glacier." Have to tell you, it's not a name I care for when I'm in a boat that's speeding up to a glacier. If it were called "Harmless Glacier,"...then we'd be talking. By the way, we were about 5 miles away from it at this point, just to give you some perspective.



Here, we were 1000 feet away from it. Surprise!



When you get close to a glacier...you tend to have a lot of these things in the water. Julie McCoy, our cruise director, told us not to worry though, because the boat's pontoons were "ice reinforced, so when we bump into the icebergs, even though 85% of their ice is under water, we're perfectly safe."

Hmm...where have I heard that before? Isn't that something Victor Garber said to Billy Zane in:

No comments:

Post a Comment